I have been stamping for years and am excited to share and learn along with you.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

All about the inside of a card

I decided to make a pop-up card recently for a birthday.  What fun and they are actually pretty easy to make once you "get" the concept.  Before we get to all the technical inside stuff though here is the front of the card.

The green card base was from a multi color pack I purchased at a convention from Paper Cuts, I created a background by repeatedly stamping an Inkadinkado/PSX foam stamp.  The stamp is part of a set of birthday stamps that I've had forever, sure has been a useful purchase.  You'll see another stamp from this set on the inside of the card too.

The rosette I made using Spellbinder scalloped and circle dies.  Here is a link to a previous post on how to make these: making rosettes.  The "make a wish sentiment and birthday candle stamps are from a Stampabilities set I picked up on clearance a couple of years ago.

I next used a Spellbinder labels 8 set to cut the middle panels.  I found the paint splash paper in my file cabinet.  I tried to find out who makes but have no idea.  I could tell it was torn out of one of those books of scrapping  papers that were popular at one time.  The surprise for you label was created using the smallest die from the Spellbinder Lattice Rectangles die set and a stamp from Post Scrips, long since gone.

Now its time to talk about the inside of the card


First off all of the die cuts on the inside of this card were purchased many years ago pre-cut and ready to use but I did make a few alterations.  I stamped the "Pin the tail on the donkey words/image using the stamp set I mentioned before and I colored the flame on the candle as well as the pom-pom on the hat with markers.  The corrugated finish to the balloons was how they came, all that was needed was strings which I attached on the back with tape.  To give the card continuity I created the same background using the same stamp that I had used on the front of the card.   I also glued the party hat and streamer onto the birthday cake to create one embellishment and then attached the whole thing to the notch I had cut into the base of the card.

There are tons of tutorials on how to make a basic pop up card including this one from Splitcoaststampers so I'm not going to go into a lot of detail but did want to show you that I did two different techniques.  The cake is pretty much the same technique as the tutorial I linked but since I wanted the balloons higher up on the card I use slightly different method which is equally easy and effective.  You simply cut a strip of cardstock that is thinner than the embellishment you are attaching and fold it to create a square.  Glue you embellishment onto one side of your square and then glue the opposite side to your card.  Just be sure you don't place it too high as your pop-up could show when the card is closed, unless that is the look you are going for.

The Happy Birthday stamp is from Stamp Camp.  The package die that I used to sign the card with is raised up on a spring, which is easy to do, a couple of pieces for Scotch tape at both ends and you are in business.  I even made the spring myself from a piece of scrap wire.  I had removes the wire from a piece of ribbon recently and all I needed to do was wrap the wire around a pencil and the spring for my card was ready to use.


Interactive cards are always a crowd pleaser.  You are guaranteed to get lots of smiles and everyone will be very impressed when they find out you made the card.  It's our little secret just how easy and fun they are to create though.

No comments: