I have been stamping for years and am excited to share and learn along with you.

Friday, May 9, 2014

The journey to becoming who you want to be


I have a stamp by Stampland of Chicago that talks about it never being too late... and knew it needed to be included on a page.  I'll give you the full quote later but first lets talk about the background of this page.

It is another mono-print and I decided to use some glycerin as my blending medium this time to see what happens and while the page came out pretty in the end, the colors blended together completely.  I'm not sure if I used too much or it is too liquid to begin with.  I'll have to experiment more.   I wanted to use my color wheel to pick my third color and was skeptical of using the color green but it said it was a good choice so I went with it, the colors I used are: burgundy, gold and a small bit of  a light green, I was still skeptical.  Like was already mentioned the paints were too wet and blended together completely, which resulted in the green disappearing and I was left with a golden pinkish burgundy background.  I liked the blend of the red and gold and over all it was pretty but definitely needed to brought up a notch.  That's when I realized the lighter green I had chosen looked like a patina, so I grabbed a sea sponge and dabbed a little more gold here and there for highlights and then added some green "patina" onto the page.  

Maybe that color wheel thing works after all because now my page really popped.   Once it was dry I took a Distress pad in Tea Stain and ran it across one side of the page to "age" it and make it look like someone really had spilled tea on that edge of the page.





Here are the embellishments I decided to use on my page, all of them were leftovers or things I had done previously but never used.  I  did use some of the same color from the background to color the swirl die and the doily die.  The ribbon was actually purple so I dropped it on top of  the same burgandy ink pad that had been used to stamp that heart and pressed away until it changed color.  You can see the difference it made below.



 The above panel was an experiment in double embossing and I love how it came out.  The embossing folders are Sizzix and Cuttlebug and the stamps are Lost Coast and Beeswax.  The flowers are also Cuttlebug, the swirl is Sizzix again and the gold flower centers and leaves are left overs from a Cuttlebug label die.  The flower center at the bottom left is a faux opal, here is a link to the post for making them: http://stampinstacystyle.blogspot.com/2011/12/im-still-in-learning-mode-but-found.html#links


Here is my finished page including the stamp from Stampland of Chicago which says: "It is never too late to become what we might have been" by g eliot.  Words to live by don't you think?  Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: