I have been stamping for years and am excited to share and learn along with you.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

 
A neighbor’s barely 20 something son had knee surgery this past week so I needed a masculine card with a touch of humor.  Sounded to me like the perfect time to get out and use some of my new purchases.
This card stock is called Rusted Metal and I got it in the clearance bin from Paper Cuts during the Heirloom convention.  Not sure why it is called “rusted”, it is a beautiful old fashioned metallic gold color with a black core.  It’s perfect for embossing and sanding, especially on masculine cards.  I cut a sheet into fourths and used the new to me TH folders “clock works & steam punk” and as you can see for yourself they look amazing.  The other piece is a Cuttlebug folder I already had and will be using some other time as well as the 4th piece of still plain card stock.  As in love with this cardstock as I am though they probably won’t sit unused for long!

I took both the steam punk and clock works embossed card stock pieces and cut them into smaller pieces.  Four each, for a total of eight.  That gave me enough to frame my base card, leaving a hole in the middle for my central stamp image to over lap onto.  Before I glued the pieces down I lined all 4 sides of the base card with a gold leafing pen to tie it and the embossing together.  I love the look alternating the 2 different embossing folders gives to the card.

The stamped image of the man on a bike is from Rubbernecker Stamps, don’t you love him.  I do!  I first stamped him in black then masked him so I could add sky colors around him.  Next I pulled the off mask and dabbed white “clouds” around and over him.  I used 2 Labels 8 dies from Spellbinder to cut him and a black mat out.  I rubbed the edges of both with a silver ink pad to make them stand out more.  The gold and black embossed pieces were over whelming everything until I used the silver.  It is often the little details that make a card work.  Unfortunately the blue above the man in the bike got cut off when I die cut him out, so I’m not sure the feeling of “flying thru the sky” comes across but I hope so.

I then used an extra large needle to run the string around the bike tires, leaving enough tail to later attach up top.  Next I stamped, colored and cut out the arms, they are from Lost Coast stamps.  I glued the hands to the top of the card and then pulled the strings up thru the hands to the inside of the card with the needle and taped them down. 

The inside of the card I did by computer on another piece of paper  so I could hide the strings.  It says, “Need a lift?  Hope this card gives you a laugh and does the trick.  Get well soon”. 

There you have it: masculine, steam punk, and I got to use several of my new toys all in one card making session!!

2 comments:

VicR said...

Hi Stacy, Just found your blog :)
This is a Cool card! Love the stamp & cardstock you used.
VickiR in OH

Stampin Stacy said...

Thanks VicR for taking time to leave a comment on the car, feel free to do so anytime. I hope you will visit me often now that you know I'm here.